4/26/11

Margarita Fish Tacos

Let me start by saying I have always thought that fish tacos were weird sounding, and would never have even attempted them if I hadn't seen this recipe. Even then I was skeptical, but I have NEVER been more wrong about a food. This recipe turned out ten times better than I hoped! There were NO leftovers and I almost licked my plate clean. This recipe was originally a Rachael Ray, I tweaked it a little, but I definitely have to give her the credit for this one! The recipe below is the way I made it. It has a lot of ingredients, but it isn't that complicated. It took me a little while to make it the first time, but I think if I made it a second time, it would go about twice as fast. I had a lot of fun even if it did take a little while though, because my 10 year old brother helped me make the entire meal! He was such a good helper, he even took a lot of my pictures for the blog!

Ingredients for Fish

4 portions of tilapia
2 ounces of tequila
Lime Juice (I used the bottled kind)(equivalent of one lime)
1 tbsp Old Bay
1 tsp chili powder
2 tbsp vegetable oil

Mix up the marinade for the fish, and then pour it over the fish in a casserole dish or anything that the fish can kind of soak in. I also flipped the fish about halfway through since the marinade didn't cover them. I only let them marinade while I was making the salsa mixture.


Ingredients for Salsa Topping
Small red onion, chopped
3 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
8-10 tomatillos, husked and chopped
1 tsp ground cumin
Juice of 1 lemon (again I used the bottled kind)
1 generous tbsp of honey
Fleshy part of one small avocado

I had never used tomatillos before, but they were awesome! They are like little green tomatoes, and you just peel the husk away. It was very easy, you can see my 10 year old brother helping me do it in the picture. After he removed the husk, he would rinse them for just a second because they have a slightly sticky feeling if you don't.


In a medium skillet,saute the onions and garlic in about a tbsp of vegetable or olive oil over medium heat until soft, then add tomatillos. Cook until tomatillos soften, then add cumin and pepper to taste. Cook another 5-7 minutes and remove from heat, letting the mixture cool for 5-10 minutes.


Next, preheat a grill pan or an outdoor grill.

After the mixture is cool, put it in a food processor along with the honey, lemon, and avocado. Pulse until a salsa like texture forms.


Grill the fish 3-4 minutes per side or until cooked through.



Other Ingredients

Tortillas
Shredded Red Cabbage



We heated our tortillas on the grill pan after the fish was done. Then we each would use the spatula to get about half of a piece of fish, top it with shredded cabbage and the salsa mixture, and there you go! Tangy and fresh and just the right amount of heat tacos!! I served my Memphis Guacamole along side since I had a lot of the ingredients from the tacos.


Try this one, you won't regret it!
Happy Cooking!


Share on Facebook!

No comments:

Post a Comment